Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mare's tail clouds - a change in the weather.

I have been a life long photographer and bought my first camera when I was fourteen. My father owned his first camera about 1930 and had some twenty years experience by the time I started. I learned a lot from him over the years and of course I am still learning.

I have a wide range of interest in things around me which has resulted in a great variety of topics saved on film, and now digitally. I love the outdoors, so landscapes with different weather patterns came naturally.

This photo was taken in January of 2009. The humidity in the air froze during the night and coated everything with a thick layer of frost. As the morning progressed the temperature rose and it was then that I noticed the Mare’s tail cloud formation. This photo is a good example of this type of cloud formation.

The mare reference relates to a female horse, with a long beautiful tail. (Now you don’t have to ask.)

I learned long ago that this type of cloud signaled a change in the weather was close at hand. In most cases it was a warning the weather was going to get worse or a storm was possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment