Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Days are slipping by

The days are slipping by and the nights are getting longer. We know winter is coming but we keep trying to squeeze in one more snow-free day.  All the outside jobs are done and the house is as snug as it is going to get. The wood is piled, dry and ready. The snow shovel and scoop are close to the door as we await the first snowfall of the year. Daily  the snowbirds are fleeing to the South as if disaster is around the corner. I keep being asked when I am leaving. I have lived all my life in the North and have no desire to go South.

The dog has grown her winter coat and I have all my winter gear organized and out of the storage closet.
Usually at this time of the year someone will ask, "What season do you like best?"
I like fall best.  The days are cooler, the autumn colors are spectacular and I am neither too hot or too cold.
However, I have to add, "I enjoy each and every season".

I have owned a camera all of my adult life and always find great scenes to photograph throughout the year.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can find it almost everywhere I look.
Farther North at this time of the year, the bays and shallow waters are starting to skim over with ice. Unless you live along a river, it pays to stay close to home. More than once I have awakened in an overnight camp at daybreak and found the lake froze over during the night.  Paddling and breaking ice is a very scary event, particularly if you are on the wrong side of the lake. You can reduce the paddles to splintered stumps and your arms to jelly, as you work your way home.

If the ice is thin and you are not overloaded, you can propel the nose of the canoe up on the ice and your weight will break the ice. If the ice is too thick to break that way, you are in for a struggle. This is the kind of thing you rarely do more than once in your life.

This is the time of the year to remain in the cabin and repair the snowshoes. Mine are ready so I have chosen to start a Blog.

2 comments:

  1. I really love how you write, and greatly look forward to you sharing more memories of the past, and experiences of the present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did that on at least one occasion.

    ReplyDelete