Friday, November 19, 2010

First snow - very wimpy.

Well, it finally snowed yesterday evening and it would be a stretch if I said it amounted to an inch.

 This morning the wind is gusting from the Northwest and more snow may fall this afternoon. When I went outside to fill the bird feeder the dog got all excited, thinking we were off for a walk in the woods.

I did not have the heart to disappoint her so off we went. The wind eased off once we were in the woods but it was still windy and cold. There was enough snow to see a couple of faint bush rabbit tracks but the dog only gets interested if she flushes one. She is getting too old for the chase and the woods are too thick for her to have any chance of catching one but I sense that she feels playing the game is just as important as winning.

A Raven went overhead, cawing as it was tossed about by the gusts of wind while five Black-capped chickadees fluttered about looking for dead bugs and spiders. As we headed for home, a solitary Blue Jay
dashed by in the distance, headed no doubt to the bird feeder at the house.

It was a brief walk, but long enough to satisfy the dog and establish the start of our winter routine.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. So you were born in Winnipeg? I was born in Emerson. I was only there for a few days then came to St. Vincent, MN to grow up. My grandparents were Canadian, my parents American, but we lived on the border and it was the closest hospital. No end of problems that has caused when filling out forms all my life...LOL Anyways, I have vacationed, attended college, took piano lessons, gotten animals doctored by bets, been doctored myself, shopped weekly in, etc. Canada all my life and always felt it was my other 'home' as much as the USA. You began as a city boy, but obviously took well to the country. I did it in reverse, but am now back in the country. Reverse culture shock. I admit it, I am a wimp, but I do appreciate it and will try to 'acclimate' again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed your comment. You are my only proof that someone "out there" reads it. Thanks Wimpy! Putting thoughts and experiences on paper reenforces the memories and calms the inner being. It also presents an opportunity for others to learn from our journey throgh life.
    Hang in there. I have hundreds more experiences to push out into th light of day.

    ReplyDelete