Friday, January 14, 2011

Mid-winter Photography

It is very easy to set aside the camera during the winter months, and wait for warm sunny days. In Northern Minnesota that means four our five months will pass without taking a photo. I make a point of taking my camera with me during winter outings and keeping my eyes open for subjects that would make an interesting photo.

Last winter I was driving out in the country and passed and old fence line that had seen better days. Long grass and weeds struggled to stay upright in the deep snow. The fence wiring was rusted and stained the old posts. It’s useful days are over. I stopped and took two photos and moved on. Days later I checked out the photos on the computer, and was pleased to see they looked even better than I expected.


The beauty of a digital camera is the fact you can take all kinds of photo and simply delete the poor ones, without having to pay to have them developed. When I first got a digital camera I acted as if I still was using 35 mm film and only had 24 shots available. Back in those days you rationed out your shots, so that you did not run out of film. Now that I have made the transition to digital, I end up taking fifty to a hundred shots on an days outing, and that increases my percentage of successful photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment